the other day, girlygirl pointed to the wreath on the front door and declared, "we need something springy!"
truth be told, i have been wanting to make a new patchwork wreath for a while, and have had some vintage grandmother's flower garden patchwork set aside for just that purpose. apparently all i needed was the nudge from a 6-year-old. making it was a simple as wrapping a straw wreath form with strips of batting, and then securing the patchwork to the form.
that was where i took a detour.
at first i used hot glue, but that proved to be too messy + awkward, and too painful - the sizeable blister/burn on my index finger was my "step away from the glue gun" moment. then i thought about how we made the feathered wreath - strategically placed pins keep the patchwork in place and look like little jewels when you look closely. less than a quarter hour later, we had something springy for the front door.